Submission period: January 12 through February 26, 2021, 11:59pm PST
Jurying, Awards and Exhibitions
Forty five images selected by the juror will be exhibited in the historic CPA gallery in Carmel, CA, and featured in an online gallery on the CPA website. Up to an additional forty five images will be selected for the online gallery.
All selected gallery and online images will be published in the 2021 Members’ Juried Exhibition catalog, available for sale during the exhibition as well as online Only active members may submit images. Click here to become a member.
The jurors will grant the following awards:
First Place: $1000
Second Place: $500
Third Place: $250
Five awards of merit: $50 each
Eligibility and Entry Fees
To enter, you must be a CPA member. (Click here to become a member.)
$35.00 For 3 images, for current CPA members
$5.00/ea Up to seventeen additional images may be entered (twenty total)
Entering the 2021 Members’ Juried Exhibition
Entries and payment will be accepted through the Café online entry system.
1. Access the Café online entry system website and create a free personal (“portfolio”) account, if you do not have one already.
2. Upload your files to Café with these specifications:
Image resolution: 1920 pixels (longest dimension) @ 72 ppi, 8bit jpeg.
Profile: AdobeRGB (1998). Files must not exceed 5MB.
Please remove any visible names, titles, watermarks, etc.
Please note: Selected images and titles will be printed in the exhibition catalog directly from the information accompanying each file. Your personal information and image data will be our only source of information. Be certain that your name, titles, dates, dimensions, sales prices, and medium (archival pigment, platinum, silver gelatin, etc.) are accurate. You MUST title each image; “Untitled” is not allowed.
Notification and Submission of Artwork: All entrants will be notified of the results via automated email after March 6, 2021. Check your spam or junk folders for this notice.
For invited gallery artists ONLY (online artists do not send artwork) artwork must arrive at CPA no later than Friday, April 2, 2021. Work delivered after this date will not be exhibited.
Preparing your image for exhibition
All artwork for display in the gallery must be ready-to-hang. Framed pieces can be wood or metal and in any style or profile and must be glazed with acrylic Plexiglas only; absolutely no glass. Stretched canvas and flush mounted metal prints are welcome. Matted but unframed work will not be displayed. Your finished piece must not exceed 30 inches on the long side and weigh less than 10 pounds, with hanging wire securely attached to the back of the frame. No saw tooth hangers. Diptych, triptych, multiple images, etc. must not exceed 30 inches combined on the long side. For the safety of your piece and our gallery visitors, no exceptions will be granted for these framing requirements.
Delivery of Art
Accepted work must arrive at the Center for Photographic Art no later than Friday, April 2, 2021 via only Federal Express or UPS. No USPS please. Hand deliveries are welcome during gallery hours, Saturday and Sunday, Noon – 4:00pm.
If you ship your work please use sturdy, reusable packaging — we will use the same packaging to return the piece to you. You may use reusable fiberboard containers or sturdy cardboard boxes, with additional Masonite, bubble wrap and cardboard for shock protection. Use of Styrofoam peanuts or similar loose packaging material is not allowed and the piece will not be unpacked or exhibited.
Only FedEx or UPS deliveries will be accepted. Sorry, USPS is not allowed. You MUST include a prepaid return-shipping label with additional insurance if desired for the return of your work. No cash, personal checks or stamps!
Prints that do not meet our requirements, arrive late or damaged, cannot be hung properly, or are deemed by the jurors and CPA to be of poor quality will be not be exhibited. While your work is in our possession, in the event of loss, damage or theft, CPA’s liability is limited to replacement cost of materials only. A signed Exhibitor Agreement must accompany your work or be completed upon our receipt of the piece.
Because of the pandemic, we may give you an alternative shipping address. This address will be in your acceptance letter.
MJE Submissions Open: January 12, 2021
MJE submissions Close: February 26 (11:59pm MT)
Artist’s notified via email after: March 6
Invited artists’ artwork delivered by: April 2
MJE Exhibition: April 10-May 9
Virtual reception, awards presentation: April 10
Center for Photographic Art – Meaning Made Visible – Please join CPA! Members receive the monthly newsletter, focus, and enjoy exclusive benefits and discounts on events, workshops and lectures. CPA depends on our members and welcomes donor and corporate underwriting that helps CPA deliver world class exhibitions, lectures and other vital programming.
The Center for Photographic Art is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation.
• Ownership remains with the artist.
• CPA will provide attribution for selected artists included in the gallery exhibition, the online gallery, and the exhibition catalog.
• Strict timelines must be observed so that we can jury, install the exhibition, produce the catalog and upload the online gallery. Therefore, no changes will be allowed after submission and late deliveries will not be exhibited.
• Only one image per photographer may be selected for the gallery exhibition or the online gallery. Any work previously included in a CPA MJE gallery or online exhibition will not be accepted.
• Artists with work accepted for the exhibition or for the online gallery grant CPA non-exclusive rights to use their images for MJE advertisement and related programs, for display on the CPA website, and for publication in the exhibition catalog.
• CPA staff and Trustees are not eligible.
• CPA will retain 40% commission on all print sales. Work for sale will be sold and shipped at the end of the exhibition and as submitted. CPA will not disassemble or exchange frames or mats. Artists will be contacted for additional print orders.
• In the event of loss, damage or theft, CPA’s liability is limited to replacement cost of materials only.
• A signed Exhibitor Agreement must accompany your work or be completed upon our receipt of the work.