Submission period: Friday, July 27 through Sunday, September 23, 2018
The Center for Photographic Art is pleased to announce the 2018 International Juried Exhibition! This year we are offering $6,000 in awards. Forty-five juror-selected photographs will be exhibited in CPA’s historic gallery at Sunset Center in Carmel, California. These photographs will be featured in an online gallery on the CPA website. An additional forty-five images will be selected and also included in the online gallery. An exhibition catalog of the images chosen for both the gallery and online exhibitions will be available for purchase. An entry discount is available for new and current CPA members.
2018 IJE Juror
CPA is honored to have as this year’s juror, Eve Schillo, Assistant Curator in the Wallis Annenberg Photography Department at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Ms. Schillo has curated an impressive list of exhibitions such as Shifting Tides: Cuban Photography after the Revolution, Made in California, 1900-2000; Trajectories: The Photographic Work of Robert Flick; Long Exposures: Contemporary Photo Essays; Camera Pictorialists in America; Re-SITE-ing the West: Contemporary Photographs; Let the Experiment Begin: L.A. Photo, 1960-80; Figure and Form in Contemporary Photography; Weston’s Modernism; A New Vision: Photography between the Wars and Window of Surprises: Photographic Surrealism.
Ms. Schillo’s expansive knowledge and appreciation of historical and contemporary photographic styles and genres will advance CPA’s fresh vision for the 2018 International Juried Exhibition.
The juror will grant the following awards:
Best in Show: $2,500
Second Place: $1,500
Third Place: $1,000
Four awards of merit: $250 each
2018 International Juried Exhibition Timeline:
Early submission rates open: 7/27/18
Early submission rates end: 8/29/18 11:59 PM MDT
Final day for submissions: 9/23/18 11:59 PM MDT
Artists notified via email: 10/10/18
Framed artwork due at CPA: 10/31/18
Opening reception, awards presentation, catalog release: 11/10/18
IJE exhibition closes: 12/22/18
Artwork Return/Pickup: 1/4/19 – 1/13/19
The 2018 International Juried Exhibition (IJE) is open to all living photographers, worldwide, over the age of 18, working in all still photographic media. There is no theme; any subject matter is eligible. Photographs accepted for previous CPA IJE gallery or online exhibitions are not eligible.
Early Submission Period: 7/27/18 – 8/29/18 11:59 PM MDT
$85 (with member discount) CPA members may submit up to three images.
$135 Nonmembers may submit up to three images.
Regular Entry Period: 8/30/18 – 9/23/18 11:59 PM MDT
$110 (with member discount) CPA members may submit up to three images.
$160 Nonmembers may submit up to three images.
All entrants are welcome to submit up to twelve additional images at a cost of $10 each for a total of fifteen images.
To retrieve your CPA Members $50 discount:
• For current CPA members, log into your account via the CPA website. Then, under the Members menu you will find “Access Your Benefits” and on that page, a link to the IJE Discount code. You may also click here to get the discount code if you are already logged in.
• You are welcome to join at the annual $50 Individual level and receive the IJE discount. Visit the CPA membership page at https://photography.org/shop/joincpa/. Once you enroll at the annual $50 Individual level, you can access the IJE Discount code and enjoy the benefits of CPA membership!
You will apply the discount code at the end of the online CAFE entry system.
How to Enter
All entrants must use the CallForEntry (CaFE) online entry system.
- Access the CaFE site and create a free personal account. https://www.callforentry.org/
- Upload your files into your CaFE portfolio with these specifications:
Image resolution: 1920 pixels (long dimension) @ 72 ppi,
Profile: AdobeRGB(1998). Save file as an 8bit Jpeg. Files must not exceed 5MB.
Please remove any visible names, titles, watermarks, etc.
Please note: Selected images and caption data will be printed in the exhibition catalog directly from your uploaded files. Your personal profile and image data will be our only source of information. Be certain that your name, titles, dates, sales prices, are correct and please specify the appropriate process: digital pigment, platinum, silver gelatin, ambrotype, mixed media. You MUST title each image; “Untitled” is not allowed.
You can upload your files to your CaFE portfolio at will. However, you must complete your ENTIRE entry before you check out and pay your fees. Once your IJE entry is submitted, it cannot be changed, nor can you change or add additional images. Therefore, please do not finalize your entry until you have entered the minimum number of images plus any additional images (up to fifteen total) and have double-checked that all your information including your name, all titles, dates and processes, as well as your artist statement is accurate. You may enter your CPA members’ discount code towards the end of the checkout.
Please plan accordingly. CaFE is an automated system so late entries cannot be accepted.
For assistance, please refer to the FAQ on the CaFE website, or email: email@example.com. No telephone calls please. We will do our best to respond quickly to your email. Keep in mind that we will be very busy near the end of the submission deadline.
- Notification and Submission of Work for Gallery Exhibition
If selected for the gallery or online exhibition, you will be notified via a CaFE auto generated email around October 10, 2018. THESE NOTICES MAY APPEAR IN YOUR SPAM/JUNK FOLDER.
For accepted gallery artists only: framed photographs must be delivered to the CPA gallery no later than October 31, 2018. Artists selected for the online gallery need not submit work!
Preparing Your Print for Exhibition (PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY)
We require ready-to-install framed artwork, with the long dimension of the completed piece (including matting and framing) no larger than 30 inches. All framed images must be glazed with acrylic. Glass is not allowed. Other than stretched canvas or metal, unframed work will not be displayed. A sturdy and conventional wire hanging system is required. NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS OR CLEATS are allowed! Completed artwork must weigh less than 10 pounds.
Delivery and Return of Artwork
Framed pieces are due no later than October 31, 2018. Hand deliveries and pickups are welcome during regular gallery hours – Wednesday thru Sunday, Noon to 4:00 pm. But please call ahead!
If you ship your work, please use sturdy and reusable packaging as it will be used for return shipping. Reusable fiberboard shipping cases are preferred. If you do not use a fiberboard case, please use sturdy cardboard, Masonite and bubble wrap to protect your work. Absolutely NO STYROFOAM PEANUTS or similar pelleted packaging material! Containers using this material will not be unpacked and the piece will not be exhibited.
Please use only Federal Express or UPS for shipping. USPS is not allowed. Our shipping address is:
Center for Photographic Art
San Carlos Street at 9th Avenue
Carmel, CA. 93921
You MUST enclose a prepaid FedEx or UPS return shipping label and any applicable insurance. No cash, personal checks or stamps will be accepted. Costs for international customs and import duty is the responsibility of the artist.
Please complete the exhibitors contract and attach it to the piece or return under separate cover.
Prints that do not meet our requirements, arrive damaged, use pelleted packaging, cannot be hung properly, or are deemed by the juror to be of poor quality will not be exhibited nor eligible for awards.
No exceptions to these rules. Failing to meet the stated criteria will disqualify your entry.
2018 International Juried Exhibition checklist:
√ Name, contact information, titles, process, dates and sales prices are complete and correct
before submission. “Untitled” is not allowed.
√ Entries close on September 23, 2018, 11:59 PM MDT
√ Maximum frame side of 30 inches, acrylic glazing only, NO GLASS
√ Reusable, sturdy packaging. No Styrofoam peanuts or other pelleted packing material
√ Prepaid return address label included
√ Framed work must arrive at CPA no later than October 31, 2018
√ Please complete and attach or return under separate cover the exhibitor’s contract
- Ownership remains with the artist.
- CPA will provide attribution for selected artists included in the gallery exhibition, the online gallery, and the exhibition catalog.
- If you opt to sell your piece, CPA will retain 50% of the sales price.
- Strict timelines must be observed so that we can jury, install the exhibition, produce the catalog and upload the online gallery. Therefore, no changes will be allowed after submission and late deliveries will not be exhibited.
- Only one image per photographer may be selected for the gallery exhibition or the online gallery. Any work previously included in a CPA MJE gallery or online exhibition will not be accepted.
- Artists with work accepted for the exhibition or for the online gallery grant CPA non-exclusive rights to use their images for MJE advertisement and related programs, for display on the CPA website, and for publication in the exhibition catalog. CPA staff and Trustees are not eligible. • In the event of loss, damage or theft, CPA’s liability is limited to replacement cost of materials only. A signed Exhibitor Agreement must accompany your work or be completed upon our receipt of the work.
- To ensure notices of future competitions and pertinent information of interest to the fine art photography community, all entrants will be added to the secure CPA email database. CPA does not sell or distribute email addresses and those desiring to opt out of such notices may easily do so.
Center for Photographic Art – Meaning Made Visible
Please join CPA! Members receive exclusive benefits and discounts on events, competitions, workshops and lectures. CPA depends on our membership and welcomes donor and corporate underwriting to help sponsor CPA’s world class exhibitions, lectures and other vital programming.
For more information and to join, visit the CPA membership page at https://photography.org/shop/joincpa or click here
Center for Photographic Art is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation.