2023 International Juried Exhibition Timeline:
Early submission rates open: 7/01/23
Early submission rates end: 9/04/23 11:59 PM MDT
Final day for submissions: 10/2/23 11:59 PM MDT
Artists notified via email: 10/27/23
Framed artwork due at CPA: 12/06/23
Opening reception, awards presentation, catalog release: 12/16/23
Closing reception: 1/20/24
IJE exhibition closes: 1/21/24
Artwork Returns: February 2024
The 2023 International Juried Exhibition (IJE) is open to all living photographers, worldwide, over the age of 18, working in all still photographic media (no video). There is no theme; any subject matter is eligible. Photographs accepted for previous CPA IJE gallery exhibitions are not eligible.
Early Submission Period: 7/01/23 – 9/04/23 11:59 PM MDT
$45 (with member discount) 3 images for CPA members
$65 3 images for non-members
Regular Entry Period: 9/01/23 – 10/02/23 11:59 PM MDT
$55 (with member discount) 3 images for CPA members
$75 3 images for non-members
All entrants are welcome to submit up to 17 additional images at a cost of $10 each for a total of 20 images.
To retrieve your CPA Members discount:
• For current CPA members, log into your account via the CPA website. Under the Members menu you will find the IJE Discount code: https://photography.org/ije-entry-members/
• You are welcome to join CPA. Log into the CPA membership page at https://photography.org/shop/joincpa/. Once you enroll, you can access the IJE Discount code and enjoy the benefits of CPA membership including our members only show in the spring!
You will apply the discount code at the end of the online CAFE entry system. It is difficult to see where the box is at check out. Look for an invisible box near the total.
How to Enter
All entrants must use the CallForEntry (CaFE) online entry system.
1. Access the CaFE site and create a free personal account. https://www.callforentry.org/
2. Upload your files into your CaFE portfolio with these specifications:
Image resolution: 1920 pixels (long dimension) @ 72 ppi,
Profile: AdobeRGB(1998). Save file as an 8bit Jpeg. Files must not exceed 5MB.
Please remove any visible names, titles, watermarks, etc.
Please note: Selected images and caption data will be printed in the exhibition catalog directly from your uploaded files. Your personal profile and image data will be our only source of information. Be certain that your name, titles, dates, sales prices, are complete and that you select the correct process type (digital pigment, platinum, silver gelatin, ambrotype, etc.). Please title each image; “Untitled” is not allowed.
You can upload your files to your CaFE portfolio at will. However, you must complete your ENTIRE entry before you check out and pay your fees. Once your IJE entry is submitted, it cannot be changed, nor can you add additional images. Therefore, please do not finalize your entry until you have entered the minimum number of images plus any additional images (up to twenty total) and have double-checked that all your information including your name, all titles, dates and processes, as well as your artist statement is accurate. You may enter your CPA members’ discount code towards the end of the checkout.
Please plan accordingly. CaFE is an automated system so late entries cannot be accepted.
For assistance, please refer to the FAQ on the CaFE website, or email: email@example.com. No telephone calls please. We will do our best to respond quickly to your email. Keep in mind that we will be very busy near the end of the submission deadline.
3. Notification and Submission of Work for Gallery Exhibition
If selected for the gallery or online exhibition, you will be notified via a CaFE auto generated email by October 27, 2023. THESE NOTICES MAY APPEAR IN YOUR SPAM/JUNK FOLDER.
For accepted gallery artists only: framed photographs must be delivered to the CPA gallery no later than December 6, 2023. Artists selected for the online gallery need not send work.
Preparing your image for exhibition
All artwork for display in the gallery must be ready-to-hang, except for sculptural pieces and 3D works that will be displayed on a pedestal or shelf. Framed pieces can be wood or metal and in any style or profile and must be glazed with acrylic Plexiglas only; absolutely no glass. Mounted prints are welcome as long as they have some hanging method. Matted but unframed work will not be displayed. Your finished piece must not exceed 30 inches on the long side and weigh less than 10 pounds, with hanging wire securely attached to the back of the frame. Please no saw tooth hangers. Diptych, triptych, multiple images, etc. must not exceed 30 inches combined on the long side. For the safety of your piece and our gallery visitors, no exceptions will be granted for these framing requirements.
Delivery and Return of Artwork
Framed pieces are due no later than December 6, 2023. Hand deliveries and pickups are welcome during regular gallery hours – Wednesday through Sunday, Noon to 4:00 pm. But please call ahead!
If you ship your work, please use sturdy and reusable packaging as it will be used for return shipping. Reusable fiberboard shipping cases are preferred. If you do not use a fiberboard case, please use sturdy cardboard, Masonite and bubble wrap to protect your work. Please NO STYROFOAM PEANUTS or similar pelleted packaging material! Containers using this material will not be unpacked and the piece will not be exhibited.
Please use only Federal Express or UPS for shipping. USPS is not allowed. Our shipping address is:
Center for Photographic Art
San Carlos Street at 9th Avenue
Carmel, CA 93923
Please enclose a prepaid FedEx or UPS return shipping label with any applicable insurance. No cash, personal checks or stamps will be accepted. Costs for international customs and import duty is the responsibility of the artist.
Prints that do not meet our requirements, arrive damaged, use pelleted packaging, cannot be hung properly, or are deemed by the juror to be of poor quality will not be exhibited nor eligible for awards.
No exceptions to these rules. Failing to meet the stated criteria will disqualify your entry.
2023 International Juried Exhibition checklist:
√ Name, contact information, titles, process, dates and sales prices are complete and correct
before submission. “Untitled” is not allowed.
√ Entry completed and fees paid before October 2, 2023, 11:59 PM MDT
√ Maximum frame side of 30 inches, acrylic glazing only, no glass,
√ Reusable, sturdy packaging. No Styrofoam peanuts or other pelleted packing material
√ Prepaid return address label included
√ Framed work must arrive at CPA no later than December 6, 2023
• Ownership remains with the artist.
• A 40% commission will be retained by all work sold by CPA.
• CPA will provide attribution for selected artists included in the gallery exhibition, the online gallery, and the exhibition catalog.
• Strict timelines must be observed so that we can jury, install the exhibition, produce the catalog and upload the online gallery. Therefore, no changes will be allowed after submission and late deliveries will not be exhibited.
• Any work previously included in a previous CPA gallery exhibition will not be accepted.
• Artists with work accepted for the exhibition or for the online gallery grant CPA non-exclusive rights to use their images for IJE advertisement and related programs, for display on the CPA website, and for publication in the exhibition catalog. CPA staff and Trustees are not eligible.
• In the event of loss, damage or theft, CPA’s liability is limited to replacement cost of materials only. A signed Exhibitor Agreement must accompany your work or be completed upon our receipt of the work.
• To ensure notices of future competitions and pertinent information of interest to the fine art photography community, all entrants will be added to the secure CPA email database. CPA does not sell or distribute email addresses and those desiring to opt out of such notices may easily do so.
Center for Photographic Art – Meaning Made Visible
Please join CPA! Members receive exclusive benefits and discounts on events, competitions, workshops and lectures. CPA depends on our membership and welcomes donor and corporate underwriting to help sponsor CPA’s world class exhibitions, lectures and other vital programming.
For more information and to join, visit the CPA membership page at https://photography.org/shop/joincpa or click here.
Center for Photographic Art is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation.